The Godfather cocktail is a 1970s-era drink, named for the popular film “The Godfather” and it is often made with equal parts of Whiskey and Amaretto, but my version dials down the sweetness. And I take instead of Scotch whiskey a smoky Whisky from Ireland, because it tastes better in my opinion.
- 60 ml/ 2 oz. Whiskey
- 20 ml/ ¾ oz. Amaretto
- Fill a mixing glass ⅔ full off ice.
- Add the ingredients and stir until chilled.
- Strain into an ice-filled rocks glas.
My version of the Godfather uses a 3-to-1 ratio of whiskey to amaretto. This will produce a sweet drink, but not as sweet as the 1-to-1 ratio suggested by amaretto producer Disarrono. Certainly, they prefer that you use lots of their liqueur. The company even used to claim that their version was Marlon Brando’s favorite cocktail.
- Smoky Whiskey | USA* | UK* | Germany*
- Amaretto | USA | UK * | Germany*
- Glasses | USA* | UK* | Germany*