The Amaretto Sour is a popular drink, but Jeffrey Morgenthaler turned it into a real cocktail. Before that, the drink was more of a sweet, palatable child of the seventies, Morgenthaler revolutionized it. Carefully, of course, but with bourbon. And it works: Because by taking a new look at the recipe, he not only manages to maintain the structure of the drink, but also to lay it out correctly. Here is the recipe of Amaretto Sour “The Morgenthaler Way”:
- 45 ml/ 1 ½ oz. Amaretto liqueur
- 22,5 ml/ ¾ oz. Bourbon whiskey
- 30 ml/ 1 oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar syrup
- 15 ml/ ½ oz. egg white
- Add Amaretto, Bourbon whiskey, lemon juice, sugar syrup and egg white to a shaker and dry-shake (no ice) for 15 seconds.
- Add ice and shake again until well-chilled.
- Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice.
- Garnish with a lemon twist and two cherries.
- Amaretto | USA | UK * | Germany*
- Bourbon Whisky | USA* | UK*| Germany*
- Sugar syrup | USA* | UK* | Germany*
- Glasses | USA* | UK* | Germany*