The Aviation cocktail is a classic cocktail made from gin, maraschino liqueur, crème de violette (violet liqueur) and lemon juice. By combining a basic spirit with citrus juice and a sugar source – here the liqueurs – the short drink can be classified in the Sours group. The cocktail probably owes its name to its delicate silvery-gray coloring due to the violet liqueur, which is reminiscent of the sky and the aviation that starts at the beginning of the 20th century.
- 60 ml/ 2 oz. Gin
- 15 ml/ ½ oz. marashino liqueur
- 15 ml/ ½ oz. créme de violette liqueur
- 22,5 ml/ ¾ oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Add all ingredients into shaker with ice and shake.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a brandied cherry.
Sometimes the créme de violette is completely dispensed with or the liqueur is replaced by Parfait Amour or creme yvette, which, however, have berry, citrus and spice notes, depending on the manufacturer, in addition to the floral aroma. The blue-colored orange liqueur Blue Curaçao, on the other hand, is not suitable for the Aviation cocktail, it was also not known at the time of orign.
- Tanqueray Gin | USA* | UK* | Germany*
- Maraschino liqueur | USA | UK* | Germany*
- Glasses| USA* | UK* | Germany*