The Rob Roy cocktail is similar to a Manhattan, but is made exclusively with Scotch Whisky; the Manhattan is traditionally made with rye, and today also commonly made with Bourbon or Canadian Whisky. The Rob Roy is a cocktail consisting primarily of Whisky and Vermouth, created in 1894 by a bartender at the Waldorf Astoria in Manhattan, New York City. The drink was named in honor of the premiere of Rob Roy, an operetta by composer Reginald De Koven and lyricist Harry B. Smith loosely based upon Scottish folk hero Rob Roy MacGregor.
- 60 ml / 2 ½ oz. Scotch Whisky
- 30 ml / 1 oz. sweet red Vermouth
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Combine all ingredients in mixing glass with ice.
- Strain into chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with 2 Maraschino cherries on a skewer.
- Whisky | USA* | UK* | Germany*
- Martini Rosso | USA | UK* | Germany
- Angostura bitters | USA* | UK* | Germany*
- Glasses | USA* | UK* | Germany*