The Gin Basil Smash (originally also Gin Pesto) is a cocktail made from Gin, lemon, sugar syrup and basil. The recipe has spread worldwide from Hamburg since 2008 and is now considered a modern classic. The base is a Gin Sour, which is supplemented with fresh basil, which gives the drink a light green color.
- 60 ml/ 2 oz. Gin
- 30 ml/ 1 oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 20 ml/ ¾ oz. sugar syrup
- a large handful of basil – better too much than too little!
- Put the basil leaves (8-12) and the lemon juice in a shaker and muddle.
- Then add ice, Gin and sugar syrup and shake well.
- Double strain into a tumbler filled with ice.
- Garnish with a sprig of basil.
- Tanqueray Gin | USA* | UK* | Germany*
- Sugar syrup | USA* | UK* | Germany*
- Glasses | USA* | UK* | Germany*